collage

collage

I am serving a mission as a sister missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for a period of 18 months. I am serving in the Spain Barcelona Mission and I am speaking Spanish. I reported to the Madrid Missionary Training Center on May 13th, 2014, and I will return home November of 2015. I love each of you with all my heart and I hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience and journey.


Monday, August 31, 2015

Hasta Luego Hospitalet, Bienvenidos a Badalona



Hello everyone! Big news … I got transferred from Hospitalet! When I found out I was leaving, my heart just shattered. It hurts to leave and I am sad. Not only did I leave an area that I have really come to know and love over the past 4 ½ months, but I left one of my new best friends, Hermana Steinfeldt. We hit it off from day one and have just soared these past two transfers together. I love that hermana so much, and I will miss her even more. She has taught me way more than I could ever tell her; she is a machine missionary and a truly disciplined disciple of Jesus Christ. I look up to her more than she will ever know! She's the best, and it was really hard saying goodbye to that place and those people, but I know I'll see them soon.

Changes in life give us a good opportunity to reflect and really soak up more of our surroundings than we do on a daily basis. I have never had a more humbling experience in my life than moving to a new city and area, simply doing my job there for a few months, and then leaving and having people say goodbye to me with tear-filled eyes not wanting me to leave simply because they feel I have been an angel to them, wearing a name tag with the name of Jesus Christ on it. It fills me with a tremendous feeling of inadequacy, humility … and gratitude to my Savior, Jesus Christ. It reminds me of what happened when the resurrected Christ went to visit the people in the ancient America and was about to leave, but the people wanted him to stay longer with them.

"3 Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again.

4 But now I go unto the Father, and also to show myself unto the lost tribes of Israel, for they are not lost unto the Father, for he knoweth whither he hath taken them.

5 And it came to pass that when Jesus had thus spoken, he cast his eyes round about again on the multitude, and beheld they were in tears, and did look steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them." (3 Nephi 17:3-5)

As a 20 year old kid, who am I to deserve that kind of response? Who are we, as 90,000 missionaries worldwide, to deserve such an outpouring of love?  Why does the Lord trust us with this, the most important work in the whole world? We are just kids, but we are God’s kids, and He has called us at this time and to this place … to go, search and find his other children, and bring them back to the fold. I am eternally grateful for every moment I have out here, many of which can't be expressed with words.
I can testify that this is all true … the gospel, this church … all of it. When the gospel is more freely applied in our lives, it will bring us more happiness than anything else we find in life.

Now I have stepped into a completely new chapter of my mission, and I am so excited! Change is always difficult, especially for me because I get so attached, but I always end up loving it! My new companion is Hermana Gutoff. She is from Utah, but her parents are from Argentina! She is just the cutest and reminds me of Gabriela from a High School Musical. She just got out of training, and has been in the mission for about four months! She is so excited about the work and is just like a breath of fresh air, something I definitely wanted and needed at this point in my mission. I really love the ward and the members here; they are so loving and nice. We are kind of starting over with some of the people we had been working with here. We know that there are prepared people out there waiting to hear this life-changing message. We have a friend from Morocco named Mohamed who really is searching for the truth. He has come to church before and has read in the Book of Mormon, and he just needs to receive an answer to know that it's true. He is going to be praying a lot this week. Please pray for him; I know God is listening, and He wants us to know for ourselves.

I love you all, and thank you for all the love and support you have given me. I am excited and love this work! I hope you all have a great week!

Love,

Hermana Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment