collage

collage

I am serving a mission as a sister missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for a period of 18 months. I am serving in the Spain Barcelona Mission and I am speaking Spanish. I reported to the Madrid Missionary Training Center on May 13th, 2014, and I will return home November of 2015. I love each of you with all my heart and I hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience and journey.


Thursday, February 12, 2015

Ye Are Called To The Work



Hello everyone, how is everything!?! I can’t believe it, but this week I will be hitting my 9-month mark on my mission; my halfway point! Everything is flying by way too fast! This past week, it snowed here in Bilbao for the first time in 30 years! It was so much fun and interesting to see people so excited about it, as some of these people have never seen snow in their life!

During our preparation day this week we went on a super long hike. It was a blast! Long, tiring, but so worth the trip and absolutely breathtaking. We visited a church called San Juan Chapel, and we had to hike out by the ocean to this little island thing to get there! It was absolutely incredible. I love Spain with all of my heart, in every way, and for all reasons. I love the culture here and all of the spectacular things we are able to see!

I recently watched a video that gave me butterflies all over again … the moment that changed my life forever. It was the announcement from our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, changing the age women can leave on their missions to 19 instead of 21. I still remember the moment, feeling so sure that I wanted and needed to go. Yet it has been over these past 9 months that I have truly begun to realize the change in me that would come through this type of service, and how important that revelation over two years ago would be for me in my life.

 I absolutely love this quote from President Hinckley (former LDS Prophet):
"Many young women are serving missions. Many are preparing to serve, not because they aren’t married or have nothing else to do, but because they have a desire to serve and therefore are being called to the work. The reason so many are going is because in the next generation, Heavenly Father will be sending his Priesthood Army to the earth. And He wants to send them to mothers who have been properly trained and taught in the gospel. And what better training can a young woman have than that of serving a mission?" - President Gordon B. Hinckley

It is so true! There is nothing that I have done, or will do, in my life that could prepare me more for the life that lies ahead of me than my mission. We as women in this world will one day be wives and mothers in some of the most tumultuous times this world has ever seen. We need to be ready, and we can be, through our service in Christ. We have the desire to serve … at ALL times and in ALL things and in ALL places.

"Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men. Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day. Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work; For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul; And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work. Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence. Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen." - Doctrine and Covenants, section 4

We are called to the work. Let us embark! Let us serve with all of our heart, might, mind and strength … with faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God. With virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence … we can change the world. I believe in and love you all. This is the greatest work on this Earth, and all I want to do is share it.
Have a wonderful Valentine´s Day! Know how much I love you and pray for you every day! I can’t thank you enough for your support. Fill this week with the love of Christ … you are constantly being called to serve the One who always serves us. Accept the call!

With love,

Hermana Vance
 

No comments:

Post a Comment